Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question...

Discussion in 'Starting a (WordPress) Website' started by irenesgarcia, Jul 11, 2014.

1. irenesgarcia

How do you get your blog to come up at the top of the list in a search engine. Keep in mind I am new to all this... I mean does it just depend on how many views you get or?? For example, I was looking up chat work at home jobs and ran into a few websites that are basically people who work from home and offer a list of work at home jobs and other useful information as well as their ads all over the page. I want to know how to do that. Can someone break it down for me??

2. themonk3y

It depends on the keyword you are targeting, if you are targeting a keyword with less competition it will take less effort and time to rank high in the search results and if the keyword you are targeting has a lot of competition it might take years for you to come up at the top of the list. The sites you encountered obviously are not some big competition you can easily beat them in the search results by practicing some simple SEO and posting quality content on your website.

Before you begin make sure that the keywords you want to rank for are getting enough hits on Google, you can use the Google keyword planner to check the amount of hits a particular keyword is getting on Google.

3. Panda

My advice is for you to download a SEO plugin. Just search for the word "SEO" in the plugins page of your WordPress dashboard and you're good to go. This plugin will help you determine if you have the right amount of keywords, a great focus word, the right length of post, images, etc. It could gauge if your article is good for SEO or bad.

This plugin is not an assurance that you would rank first in the search engines though. However, I have a number of articles that rank #1 on Google. Take for instance if you would search "profit and loss distribution", you would see my website on top of the Google search rankings. SEO by Yoast plugin helped me achieve that. ;)

4. themonk3y

You are right having a SEO plugin does not assures that you will rank at the top in the search engine. SEO by Yoast is a great plugin for any one to perform SEO on their WordPress website. It is really easy to use and all you have to give it a keyword and it will tell you how to improve and optimize your page for the given keyword.