Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paying for content?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by johnnear, Jul 13, 2014.

1. johnnear

Do you pay for content or do you provide it yourself? I've been doing blogs for the couple of years now and I was kind of getting tired of writing and I resulted to paying someone to write my blogs and other stuff concerning writing. Do you do this kind of thing also or do you just go guerilla on your blogs? How much do you pay per blog entry?

2. TIEro

I've done both in the past, like most blog owners. When I hired, I paid depending on what I wanted and what was on offer, skills-wise. I've paid $45 for a post, I've paid $2 for a post (and funnily enough, the $2 writer was better). The average was around $7.50 per post, I think, which isn't much... BUT I made it clear that I only wanted that much money's worth of time. In other words, if I hired a $30/hour writer, I expected them to spend 15 minutes on the post. Don't expect gold in return for low pay. :)

Unfortunately, I suck at marketing, so there was never any real return on the investment for me. But if you're good at advertising and so on, and generating revenue, then hiring a writer is just another investment in your online business.

And another "funnily enough": that $2 writer stuck around, I mentored him and partnered with him... and he's now earning $20+ per article, writes guest blogs on some of the biggest sites in his country and is paying it forward by mentoring beginner writers himself! Never underestimate writers who want to learn and happen to be cheap.

WPhelp likes this.
  3. jblogger

I've never paid for content but have been paid for providing content to another site. I have sold about 15 articles for $2.5 each. It's not that much but just as TIEro said I was providing exactly what I was paid for.

I know many bloggers outsource most of the job, and writing articles is just another part of it so if they think their time is worth more than the time they need to put by creating content it makes sense to outsource that. It all depends on whether your blog is generating money or not. If it is and you could be making more money by promoting your site more instead of using that time writing then of course you should pay for your content.

4. Soulwatcher

I have never paid for content because I think once a reader finds out that you paid for all your content then they are going to look down on your blog. Creating content is not that hard, all it takes is a little time and effort to make quality posts. A article that I wrote last week got over 120+ facebook likes.

Greg

5. calicer1996

6. Navii

I never paid anyone for writing for me because if I'm not in the mood to write or I just don't have the time to write, then I just don't post anything. I don't blog for a living, I just do it because it's fun for me and a nice hobby. If I were dependant on making money with my blog I would consider getting a writer whenever I don't feel like writing anything. But since I'm not, I just post whenever I'm in the mood.

7. TIEro

That opinion surprises me, since there are tons of high-profile blogs that pay for ALL their content. I guess it's all in the way you look at things.

If you want crap, that's a good rate. Like most things, you get what you pay for: if you want quality content, expect to pay quality rates.

8. Navii

High-profile blogs can do that because they make enough money with their blogs. For me it wouldn't really be worth it if I pay more than I make from the content I bought. I do understand where you are coming from though, but paying for content isn't profitable for everyone.

9. themonk3y

No I have not paid for content on my blog. I might give it a try in the near future if my blog grows in visitors. If it does not grow than getting paid content for the blog would be waste of money.

$1/hr !! I have not seen a rate that low no matter how bad the writer or quality. Most of the people hire writers on freelancing websites. The minimum rate to hire the writer there is $3/hr. If you are looking for cheap articles instead of paying per hour you should consider paying per article. You can try iWriter or Hirewriters there you can get a 500 word article written for around $3.

10. themonk3y

I have not yet paid any one to write content for my blog but I am willing to do it in the future if my blog starts to drive a decent amount of traffic. I don't think it is a good idea to get paid content for your blog from the start because if the blog fails all the paid content is use less and a waste of money.

$1/hr !! personally I have not hired any writers but I have been on a few freelancing websites where bad writers who have grammatical mistakes even in their profile work for a minimum of $3-5. If you are interested in getting some articles written for low price you should give iWriter a try. There you get a decent piece written for as low as $5/500 words.

11. missbishi

It is only worth paying for content if the amount you make exceeds the cost of hiring someone. When I am short of inspiration, or am tired of writing, I sometimes revisit and update a past post. for example, if I had previously written an article about a GTP site, I would link back to it and tell people whether it is still working for me or not. It is also a useful opportunity to promote my referral links at the same time.

12. tournique

13. fliktor7

I've never paid for getting content into my blogs, but I always have done it as a hobbie more than for making profit about it.

I suppose that if my blogs have a great number of visitors I may think about it, but since now I made this kind of things just for fun.

14. nihalar

I always try to write my own content. Of course there will be times when you will need to hire a content writer especially if you run multiple blogs or websites. I think if you pick a niche you are passionate about, then writing content may not be that hard. If you have a high budget then hiring writers is the best idea as you could invest more time on building backlinks, user experience, theme design, etc.

15. ellyjude

16. VinayaSpeaks

I have written contents for blogs and websites (as a ghost writer as well as guest writer), however, I have never commissioned anyone to write for me. Recently, I set up my website. Now I feel that I don't actually have time to write contents for my website. I am thinking to hire ghost writers for my website.

17. swalia