Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help creating custom category pages for city and states and then have them

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & How-To's' started by phillipd, Aug 7, 2014.

1. phillipd

I want to replicate this site connectnationwide.com/solavei/category/hawaii/

I need to make a page promoting solavei for each state and city as shown in this theme

can someone please help

I need to display each state and city at the bottom as shown so that each state and city is selectable

this is quite urgent as it's for a client need to get it done in 2 weeks

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. Jacob

3. TIEro

A quick look at the page source suggests they're using the theme Atahualpa353: wordpress.bytesforall.com/2010/07/atahualpa-353-released/

Visible plugins are Slidedeck lite for WordPress, j-shortcodes, and a tabbed widgets plugin.

If you just want static pages, you could copy the source and change it, but that would be horribly inefficient for multiple versions. I suspect they have some code running to detect the region in the search term used to find the site ("Hawaii"), which redirects to the correct page.

To put it simply, you can't just replicate a complex WordPress setup by sight. You can do it with simple sights, or you can take the HTML and build your own static version, but complex sites have so much going on behind the scenes that it's very hard to replicate them completely. Especially in 2 weeks.

4. OhioTom76

I've done something similar to this before, trying to create pages for every state, county and city in the US. A few things I will warn you about, based on issues I ran into:

I scraped all the state and city data from the website city dash data dot com (sorry, can't post links here yet). There were about 20,000 cities total in addition to the state and county pages. So in total I was trying to create over 20,000 pages on my Wordpress site.

First off, adding that many pages or posts to a Wordpress site will slow it down tremendously, especially if you are on a basic shared hosting plan. The page load times will be horrendous. You will need to upgrade to a better hosting plan such as a semi dedicated or dedicated hosting plan. Even then, if you are using the "Post Name" permalink structure with all these posts/pages, that too is one of the least efficient (despite it being SEO friendly) since it makes a ton of calls to your MySQL database every time it renders a page.

The other issue I ran into trying to do this on a basic shared hosting plan, was that I could not bulk create all 20,000+ pages at once. I was trying to use a bulk import plugin for Wordpress and prepared a bulk sheet in Excel. But when I tried to import it all at once, Wordpress would freeze up part way and error out, resulting in my site getting completely hosed - since the data was interrupted mid import. Ultimately I found I could only safely import about 1000 posts/pages at a time. Also, you should back up your site in between each import in case it doesn't import correctly. That way you don't have to start entirely from scratch again.

The other issue is figuring out how you are going to bulk create all those posts/pages. Personally I would create them as posts instead of pages, since you can then assign categories, tags and other taxonomies to them that you can't with pages. Additionally, for some reason, posts seem to load a little faster than pages when doing something like this, not sure why. There are several ways to do this, such as trying to go into MySQL directly, but I opted to use a plugin.

The bulk import plugins out there are all a bit different. Some will let you bulk import not just posts and pages, but also categories and subcategories, tags, etc... Some will only let you create new posts/pages, but don't have any options to bulk update existing posts/pages or give you any option to download posts/pages in bulk for editing. You also may need to do the bulk uploading in stages, such as create a bulk sheet for your categories first, then another for subcategories, then another for your posts/pages. It varies by which plugin you choose.