Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving site from one host to another

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & How-To's' started by Tab Smith, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Tab Smith

I have recently moved a website for a church. Their domain name did not change, only the webhost. It is now on a server I lease as a non-managed Linux box. I have about ten WP sites on it running with no problems.

I have moved WP sites before, but never had this problem. I have imported the sql database, changed the config file to represent that change.

I changed DNS, including the A record,

The front page loads okay, including a slider, (the slider however loads very slowly) the links show up on the bottom left hand corner with the correct sgacchurch.com/page, but the page errors.

If I try to access the wp-admin page I get an error stating that the 'insert old database name' is down, or the config page is wrong.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    The website is http://www.sgacchurch.com/
    admin is http://www.sgacchurch.com/wp-admin

Please help!!!!
    Tab Smith

2. Dono Nguyen

In this case, maybe you can clear target and check again with 3 steps: Make a full WordPress Transfer, Transfer WordPress from wordpress.com, Migrate your WordPress data only according to guide "How to transfer Wordpress" in siteground.com. It shows how to make a WordPress transfer to a new hosting platform.

3. Sumeet Shroff

It clearly mentions that there is an "database error". Go through the db settings again.
    dbname,
    host : localhost,
    password and
    user....

Connect the user to the database...
    Check with the hosting company for the correct host.
    password should not contain special chars and should not be more than 10 chars... or use a simple password and check

If it does not resolve, ask the hosting to check. Hosting companies are well versed with wp and i am sure they will be able to sort it out.

4. ellyjude

5. OhioTom76

Have you tried simply using a plugin to do this for you? There are a number of free and paid plugins which can make this whole process much easier for you. Below is one that I use frequently to backup my sites.

EDIT: Sorry I can't post links just yet, but simply do a search for WP Clone Plugin on Google

The thing I like about this one, is it doesn't try to back up your entire Wordpress installation - it merely just backs up your posts and settings and plugins, and if I recall, I think your current theme too. So all you need to do is install a new installation of Wordpress at your new location. Then export a zipped backup of your site from the old location and import it into your new location via the Wordpress Admin panel.

The problem with trying to do a manual move from one server to another is they may be configured differently, such as having a different path to MySQL, or the locations of Php are different, etc... which you need to correct all on your own. Even the Wordpress plugins which try to do a complete backup of your entire Wordpress installation can choke up on this since they are looking for the exact same paths and server settings as well. Considering it only takes a couple minutes to do a fresh installation of Wordpress, install the WP Clone plugin, and import a backup, I've found that to be much faster and more intuitive personally.

In your case, you will probably want to install WP Clone on the old site, export a backup and save it to your computer, then point your domain to the new site, and install Wordpress and the WP Clone plugin then import it there.