Divi WordPress Theme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keeping customizations when switching themes

Discussion in 'Themes and Templates' started by american, Jun 21, 2013.

1. american

Most of the time, I find that if I switch themes, it ruins any customizations I may have made and it takes hours or even days to put things to right. Or sometimes, the customizations simply can't be done in the new theme and I end up having to switch back. Is there any way to know if a theme will be able to handle the customizations before I switch or a tool to ensure that all customizations transfer to the new theme?

2. james1991

Not as far as I am aware of. I find it best to test out a few themes first and then keep the one I am happy with. Although, WP Engine (paid hosting for wordpress) has a really good live staging area where you can make changes to your site, including the theme and customisations, and if you are happy, convert those changes to your live site. When you use the staging area, your live site remains the same until you choose to introduce the changes by copying the staging site to your live site directory. I have done this multiple times and it works great. I wrote a review of WP Engine here: gadgetised.com/wp-engine-wordpress-hosting-review/

3. calicer1996

4. johnnear

Well the only way you can test it out is well, test it out. You can try it out first on a dummy site then try to make some changes or if its too much trouble for you, you can always check for the reviews of the theme online. Or maybe check on the codes of the theme itself, you might find some strings there that can give you some clue whether or not it's going to work or not. Just make some backup just in case.

5. jonjacob

johnnear, this is good advice. I am making all of my customizations on a site that has no traffic, to test the theme, customize it slightly and decide if it is the one that I will be adding to the main site. Just wondering, is there a way to change the CSS file for the theme and then port it to a new theme automatically, or would I have to cut and paste?

6. fivebyfive

I've never had this issue, OP. Usually when I switch themes and then switch back to the previous theme I haven't lost any customization. I've seen that happen when you upgrade a theme that a designer has made some changes to and you've copied over the original theme with the updated theme but outside of that generally I find things are where I left them.

If you are having this problem you can install another wordpress installation, even on the same sever, if you know what you're doing to work on files.

7. VinayaSpeaks