Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues With Backend / Posts not showing up

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & How-To's' started by Rromer1, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Rromer1

1. I feel like I am going crazy so hopefully someone has experienced this and can help me out!!

My agency recently took over a WordPress site that is being hosted by Bluhost and was set up through a former agency. The site is a custom child theme of Twenty Twelve. I logged in using a generic admin that the former agency created for us. I added myself as an admin and a colleague of mine. I was able to update to the newest version of WordPress and updated all the plugins (which isn't very many).

I updated and optimized quite a large number of posts however, and when I logged in again the edits were all gone! I don't understand because they were saved and published on the live site (which I checked and ran in incognito as well). Could this be a parent/ child theme issue? When I log in with the same user name and password SOMETIMESthe optimized posts are there, and then at other times they aren't and the changes don't show up on the live site at all.

Another odd thing is I already updated to the newest version of WordPress for this property, but it is requesting an update when I am able to access the backend of WordPress where I can see my changes. It's like I am logging in to two completely different backends. One where my changes exist, and the other where they do not. Why is this happening? Also - when I request to update the WP with my changes, it asks me for an FTP code and the user name still reads the old company and is asking for a password. Do I have to change the credentials to our hosting provider? Please help!

2. Also - I just realized that I created (apparently) TWO logins for myself. One is with CAPITAL LETTERS and the other is with lower case. I am an admin as both users, but each backend as that user is different for instance:

USERA: backend has all the changes I made yesterday to the navigation, edited posts, but gives me this message: To perform the requested action, WordPress needs to access your web server. Please enter your FTP credentials to proceed. If you do not remember your credentials, you should contact your web host.

I should add that the users are entirely different from one backend to another however, the URL that I use to log in to this property is the exact same.

usera: Has no changes, has more users, and has the latest version of wordpress installed on it.

It seems like I am updating a child theme or something and I can only access it at certain times. Anyway, it's driving me crazy and I need my changes to be all in one place. Please help!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  2. OhioTom76

I'm not sure what is causing the FTP error messages, but if the Wordpress site is hosted at Bluehost, they have a Wordpress installer built into their CPanel, and if the original agency used that installer then Bluehost should be able to help you troubleshoot that issue via their support. If the agency manually installed Wordpress on their hosting account, then Bluehost won't offer Wordpress support for it. If they are able to offer you support, they should be able to confirm if there are in fact two installations of Wordpress for the site, but I doubt that is the case.

Some other issues you might want to check for:

Is the site using any sort of CDN (content display network)? This is an optional service which will create mirrors of your web site on multiple servers worldwide. People use CDN's to help protect against hacking attacks (if your main server goes down, visitors are automatically routed to one of the backups of your site on the CDN on another server). They are also used to speed up page load times for the visitor - in other words if a user is in Texas, the CDN will route them to the nearest iteration of your site on the server closest to them, which theoretically should speed up how fast the site loads for them specifically. Sometimes when you are using a CDN though and trying to preview changes to your site, you may instead be delivered a cached copy on some other server out there because the new changes haven't yet propagated out to the other servers yet. You could try disabling the CDN if it's enabled, while you're making changes and previewing the site, then turn it back on when you're done.

On a similar note, are they using any sort of caching plugin to speed up the site? If so, try turning that off temporarily while you are making updates.

Something else which could be causing the issue is you might have created a second copy of the posts or pages you are editing. Under the Permalink settings, if they are using the "Post Name" option, you need to be careful when editing old pages. Especially if you delete an old page and try to re-create a new page/post with the same title (but perhaps different content). When you delete a page or a post by default in Wordpress, it get's moved to the Trash bin, but is not yet permanently deleted. If you are using the Post Name permalink option, and delete a post or page, and it's sitting in the Trash bin, Wordpress hangs on to the custom "slug" for that page until you permanently delete it. So if you create a new post/page with the same title as the one in the trash bin, Wordpress will auto rename the slug with a number appended to it to keep them separate, which will result in two separate posts/pages - one is still sitting in the trash bin (since it could technically be restored if you wanted to) using the old slug, and the new post/page is live but using the new slug.

If you did in fact delete an old page/post, and created a new one with the same title, then clicked on the View Post link after publishing it, you will see it live on the site. But if you had any manual links pointing to the old post/page which was deleted, those will take you to an error message, since they are pointing to the old permalink. In that situation you would need to permanently delete the old post/page from the trash bin, then go back to the new post/page and modify the slug to match the old one.