Divi 

WordPress Theme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing Wordpress manually

Discussion in 'WordPress Installation' started by Raymond, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Raymond

Joydeep M likes this.
  2. Anderson5

Joydeep M likes this.
  3. ConduciveMammal

4. themonk3y

I have installed WordPress manually a number of times. It was when I was using a free web hosting and they did not allow the so called one click install feature. I never had much trouble uploading the files to the server. Instead of uploading the files one at a time through the built in file manage or FTP software I used to upload the ".zip" file which could be later decompressed on the server so I did not have to worry about a single file being misplaced or corrupted.

5. TIEro

Easy as pie. Open FTP client (I use Filezilla). Connect to server. Highlight WP files. Drag, drop, sit back and drink coffee. Job done. I must have done this about 200 times in the last few years, and there's never a problem.

Of course, the cPanel bit where you set up the database and everything is a teeny bit more complex, but it's really not that hard. If you struggle with that, I'd go for the scripted install - the only real difference is that you get a database with a dumb name, instead of one you choose!

6. themonk3y

Since you mentioned using Filezilla to copy all the files from your computer to the server. I have a question, when I tried to use Filezilla it would disconnect automatically from my server after a couple of minutes and I would have to reconnect it again to my server. How do I fix that ? How do I stay connected to my server longer ?

7. Aree Wongwanlee

I have installed Wordpress manually many times before. That's when I am setting up a site on a vps which does not have cPanel. It's not a complicated process. Wordpress has an installation file with which you can install Wordpress with just one click. If I remember rightly, they call it the 5-minute installation. The much easier way, of course, is just to use Softaculous. There are other installers but, so far from my own experience, Softaculous does the job better.

@themonk3y, what you mentioned is quite odd. I have used Filezilla before and it doesn't disconnect while uploading files. Perhaps if you take a peek under the hood, so to say, and look at your settings you might see something about timeout or something similar.

8. zenfive

It's not that complicated, it's just a matter of following the steps properly and making sure everything is uploaded in the right place. However I would never do it manually if I have the choice of using the automatic installers, as Anderson5 said, time is money.

9. craig1985

10. Khurram Shahzad

11. marcy393

12. Joydeep M

Hello World !
    I will suggest to upload the .zip file and extract. If you have cPanel, then it's very easy otherwise upload through FTP but make it sure, you are uploading a zip file containing the wordpress files.

If you don't have built in auto installer, then there is a website that will help you. installatron (.) com
    You have to choose installation directories and provide database credentials and it will install your script.

Thanks,
    Joydeep Mondal
    Host Rector (.) com
    Web Hosting Service

13. junaid Ismail