Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to have a side bar on the left and right side

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & How-To's' started by Panda, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Panda

Howdy! In using a very awesome WordPress theme right now and I'm very satisfied with it. However, it only has one sidebar located at the right side. Recently, I've come to a realization that I need two sidebars on some of my pages. I want to have a left side bar and a right side bar. Is there an easy way to do this? Or is it dependent on the theme? Of the theme does not allow it, can I still have two side bars?

2. SimplySidy

To be honest, you can have two sidebars anywhere you want. But if the theme doesnt support it, there is no alternative but to change the codes. And that raises the chance to mess up the theme as the theme is not originally supporting two sidebars. As such, be careful when you edit the codes.

3. TIEro

Quick answers:

Is there an easy way to do this? No.
    Or is it dependent on the theme? Yes.
    Of the theme does not allow it, can I still have two side bars? Yes.

You will have to edit the theme files yourself or, better, create a child theme. The problem isn't so much adding the sidebar (that's actually quite easy), it's getting everything to sit properly on the page once you've added it. This is doubly true if you're using one of those incredibly (unnecessarily) complex themes that does everything with objects, rather than straight code - the learning curve is steeper.

If you're earning from your site, this is the sort of thing that it's worth paying someone to do. Good coders can make a change like this quickly (they've done it hundreds of times), so although it costs a bit of cash, you don't spend hours and hours beating yourself into frustration!