Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to develop a new site in the background

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & How-To's' started by glen4cindy, Nov 7, 2017.

1. glen4cindy

I want to develop a new site in the background and make sure everything is working properly without disturbing the existing site. I've been working on and developing this site but I am really becoming unhappy with the way this theme works. I think we need something new.

I've tried to follow various tutorials and so far I think I have made a bit of a mess of the file structure of my current site.

The tutorials I've looked at referring to things like creating copies of databases and using myPHP and the sort. I'm new enough I do not really understand this.

I had a subdomain setup in my cPanel as "staging" and I had "made a copy" of the current website into the staging directory. I could go to the xxx/staging and the homepage worked just fine. But, as far as I could tell when going to the links in the menu it was going back to the original site.

I've looked at a few things I like. I have even explored the idea of developing everything "offline" on a flash drive or on my computer, but, then I would have to figure out how to move everything to the live site and get it activated.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.