Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to check who's ending spam comments

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & How-To's' started by Panda, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Panda

I have comments enabled in my posts. I require that individuals should be logged in in order to be able to submit a comment. Also, the first comment is required to be moderated. However, I still receive different useless comments in my site. I dunno how they do it. Most of the comments are in Chinese/Japanese characters and I can't understand a single word.

How are they able to post a comment when in fact, I require that users be logged in before being able to comment? How can I check who's sending spam comments? How can I get their ip address? How can I block them?

2. themonk3y

WordPress is one of the most popular blogging platform which also makes it popular among spammers to spam your WordPress website. There are so many paid services and software's which any one can purchase to start a spam bot to post spam comments on various WordPress websites. Forcing your users to register will not effect the amount of spam you get as the bots might even be programmed to register to your website for spam comments unless your are using some sort of a CAPTCHA to prevent bot registration if not then these are probably bots. In order to stop spam comments I use a simple plugin it called Stop Spam Comments.

3. SimplySidy

1. Activate Askimet plugin - that is free from Wordpress
    2. Install a Captcha service - plugin is fine but better still - get a coder to do it for you
    3. Ensure that your theme is valid for use with latest wordpress versions
    4. Ensure your plugins, wordpress are always update
    5. Always avoid those nullified themes - many people get the premium themes downloaded from torrents or elsewhere.
    6. If you do not want askimet or captcha you can consider including the comment sections from DISQUSS or other platforms - they will take care of removing the spam (but this will also slower the page load time specially when your site is being viewd by people who have smaller bandwidths).

4. Soulwatcher

I can not stress enough how important Askimet is to a blog. I have had zero spam comments make it through with Askimet installed. It has stopped spam 22 times on my blog and every single time it flagged something as spam it was spam and I deleted it.

Greg