Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I put a Favicon to my WordPress site?

Discussion in 'Starting a (WordPress) Website' started by Panda, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Panda

One of the things that my website lacks is a favicon - the little icon that appears beside the name of a website in the tabs of a browser. My site just shows the favicon of my web host service provider by default and I think that it really looks out of place.

Is there an easy way of putting a favicon to my WordPress site? Some plugins perhaps? I don't wanna modify anything in my theme etc.

2. themonk3y

The best plugin to put a favicon on your WordPress website is All in One Favicon. I have used it before but right now my theme has an inbuilt option to add a favicon so I do not need it any more. Check your theme options may be your theme also comes with the option of a custom favicon.

3. Panda

Thanks for that plugin suggestion. I installed and activated the plugin already. My then doesn't provide the option for placing a favicon in its customize page.

Now, the problem is, how will I make a pretty good favicon for my site... Should I just use default images/clipart? Should I ask an expert to make one? How did you come up with your favicon?

4. themonk3y

I don't know how to create pretty good favicon and I did not hire an expert to create a favicon for me. The name of my website starts with the letter "Y" and ends on the letter "Y" so I decided to find a 16x16 .png image with a letter "Y". You can find a variety of images that fit the size of a favicon on iconarchive.com. There so many categories ranging from animals to letters just find the one which best suites your website. Almost all the images you see there are available in different sizes and a quick tip do not use their search bar to search for a icon it is not really good at searching. You will have to search for a good image there manually.

5. Aree Wongwanlee

Take a look at the favicons of other sites. A favicon is a very small image. So you cannot put much in it. It usually is made up of just one simple picture. The picture can be a stylized letter representing the name of your site. Or it can be just a symbol. There are many online services which can help you to convert any image into a favicon.

6. Panda

Got it. Thanks for that. I have made this thread waaay back last year and still I haven't gotten into installing the plugin. Lol. Had a lot of things to do and I focused more on writing articles for my websites.

Anyways, I did look into the favicons of some websites and noticed that simple is the best so that it would be easily recognizable and not too cluttered.