Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello! I tried and tried to create a blog on WordPress.com

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Allison2021, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Allison2021

Hello! My name is Allison.

I have basic questions about starting a blog. I wanted to write daily about my views and opinions. That is why I started the blog.

How would I invite others to write or post on the blog?
    How does a blog make money?

I tried and tried to create a blog on WordPress.com but I was confused on the choosing the colors, and background.

Would anybody like to help me?

2. Jacob

Hi Allison! Welcome to the forums and the world of blogging!

WordPress.com can easily accomplish your goals of producing content about your daily views and opinions while earning some revenue off of it and allowing people to write content for you as well.

To answer your first question regarding inviting users to contribute content to your blog, first you'll need to go to your WordPress dashboard at WordPress.com. Once you've logged in, look at the left side of your dashboard. You should see a tab labeled "Users". Put your mouse over that tab. A new set of tabs should pop up. Click "Invite New". From there you enter in their email address and select the role you would like them to fulfill. The two roles you would likely want to use would be "Contributor" and "Author". Contributor allows the person to write and edit their own posts, but they cannot publish them. You would have to click the publish button for their content to be public. The "Author" role allows someone to write and edit their own posts and also allows them to publish their posts without your consent. You can always edit or delete their posts if you do not like them, though. (To learn more about user roles, go to: User Roles ? Support ? WordPress.com)

Your second question was "How does a blog make money?" Blogs can make money through a variety of ways, such as selling a product through an eCommerce store (an online store), having a subscription service to your blog, or adding ads to your blog. Unfortunately, when using a free WordPress blog, making money can be a little complicated. Adsense is not allowed on free WordPress blogs, but they do have a service called WordAds. If you are interested in checking it out, visit http://wordads.co/ (there are restriction to this, though). If you have a self-hosted WordPress blog, this can be done simply. Head on over to Google Adsense, create and account, and click on the "My Ads" tab. Click on "New ad unit" and fill out the form (you really only have to give it a name). Now, click "save and get code". Once you have the code, copy it and head on over to your WordPress dashboard. Go to the Appearance tab and select "Widgets". Drag the "Text" box to whichever sidebar you want your ad to be on. Now all you have to do is paste the code and you should be good to go. Some ads may take a few minutes to appear at first, so don't worry if you don't see it right away.

If you have any interest in owning a self-hosted blog, check out http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/wordpress-hosting.aspx?ci=91318. You can get an entire year of hosting for just $12.

Your last question was regarding the appearance of your blog. WordPress allows you to customize your blog in a variety of ways. To start with the customization, you'll need to choose a theme under the Appearance tab. Once you have done that, move down to the Customize tab. From there, you just pick colors that you think suits your blog the best.

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to ask!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  3. Allison2021

Jacob, Thank you!
    Jacob wrote, "The "Author" role allows someone to write and edit their own posts and also allows them to publish their posts without your consent. " I thought about what you said for the contributor vs. the author role. It would be easier for people to enter as an author.
    Jacob, I just joined the social website, Google+. There I could make a lot of contacts with other writers and authors. I would like to invite a few of them to join my WordPress blog.

However, from looking over your written advise, it appears I would have to get their email and place it in the the long box labeled Username, Email, or Address. That would mean I would have to manually write each persons email address in that long box.

I was wondering is there any way to give out my blog address to friends, and they can blog on it anytime they wish?
    If this isn't possible, then does WordPress have a forum platform so I may set that type of open posting. It could be a forum that people registrar for before they were able to post.

Thanks also for telling me about the Go Daddy self-hosting blog.

Sincerely,
    Allison

4. Jacob

It is possible for anyone to "post" on your blog, even without you manually inviting them, but you would have to use the theme "P2". It basically turns comments in to posts and makes your site resemble a social media website. Be careful when using this theme though, some trolls could easily post spam on your website without your permission (you can always delete the spam comments though).

As for adding a forum to your WordPress blog, I do not believe that is possible under free WordPress.com hosting. If you are looking for a free forum hosting, there are a number of websites that can handle that request: Google - Create a Free Forum.

If you are in fact just wanting a small group of friends to post on your blog, I would still highly recommend inviting them to your blog via email. All you need is their email address and then you can assign them to the role of Author or Contributor, as well as keep any theme that you already have on your blog. Once you have invited them once, they will be able to post as much as they want.

Hope this helps. If you are still confused on anything, don't hesitate to ask!

5. WPhelp

Administrator Staff Member

A great way to add a "WordPress" based forum to your site is by using bbPress.org There are actually quite a few themes available that come with BB press integrated into the design.

There is a learning curve involved, but if it's a feature you need, it's the way to go.

Here is a great site where you can find those themes that have the BB Press integrated into WordPress Themes, they average around $50 each, but are worth every penny!

20+ BuddyPress Themes | ThemeForest

Good luck and have fun!