Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grammar Issues

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Daniel, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Daniel

What makes a professional writer professional is their lack of grammatical mistakes. Most of us though have things that we just can't get the hang of for some reason. Like "its" and it's". Or spelling issues like "receive" and "recieve"

What's the one thing that you just can't seem to remember how to do correctly? With me it's the numbers thing. Do you write out one though ten and number the rest, like 15 or 30? Or is it the other way around?

2. akstgsb

3. TIEro

That's only one part of being a professional writer. Punctuation, spelling and syntax are just technical issues. There's also voice, tone, style, creativity, flair and a ton of other things to consider. Not to mention reliability and meeting deadlines!

With numbers, there isn't a hard-and-fast rule. Some people say it's words up to ten, others to one hundred, others to always use numbers, others to use words below ten unless you have another number over ten in the same sentence (unless it's referring to a different subject... yes, it gets silly).

In truth, as long as you are internally consistent (within your document) and you're not working for someone with grammar guidelines, most people don't mind. Personally, I go for figures below 10, then numbers - unless there are two numbers in the same sentence and one is above nine (in which case, I use numerals for both) or they don't refer to the same thing (as I did here). It just "feels" right for me.

4. Jacob

In my opinion, this is what determines a good writer. Sure, you should try to be consistent with the standard grammar rules, but it's always a great thing to get your writing to blend with your work. Write what feels right.

As for the number question, I usually do what TIEro does: One through nine - spell it out. 10 and up - write it out (although I will occasionally spell out the number "ten").

5. james1991

6. goodreplays

For me, my greatest mistake when using sophisticated English writing is citing sources. I know it may seem funny right now, it actually is hard for me. I never place it the right way even when I search how to. I wonder why? Anyways, writing that is error free and fluent contribute to what is professional writing.

7. Mihaela12

Well maybe because English isn't my first language I kind of learn the words by heart, so I know the difference between "its" and "it's" and "than" and "then", because my English teacher was very demanding.
    I sometimes make mistakes in more complicated words but I learn them by heart also so it doesn't happen again.

8. jonjacob

I liked the comment by akstgsb , that regular reading and writing helps you get a feel for keeping your writing both grammatically correct and accessible. That said, the technique of reading aloud your work is also helpful.

But, if you are looking for a tool that can help out with this, try out Hemmingway, look up hemmingwayapp to find it.

9. jblogger

English isn't my first language either but I think my grammar is ok. Of course every now and then I make a mistake, but for me one thing that really gives me trouble is the use of the comma "," because in Spanish I can write a lot of sentences divided just by commas and it makes sense but I'm not sure if the same makes sense in English and I either end up using a lot of commas or not using any at all.

That's what troubles me...

10. jonjacob

I would postulate that a professional writer is not simply their ability to follow the rules, but to engage their audience. I know a lot of people who write flawless, grammatically stunning sentences that lead you nowhere, or are mundane and ineffective.

That said, if we are going into habits that are not necessarily grammatically proper...I love the ellipsis (as I just showed). For those that don't know what an ellipsis is, it is this (...). Technically, the ellipsis is used for shortening content down...I use it for dramatic pause...again...not grammatically correct, but it makes a point.

And I am a trained, technically proficient professional writer.

11. missbishi

My grammar is generally OK but I still spellcheck everything first. I tend to write in Word, run a spelling and grammar check then copy/paste the text into my blog. Quick and easy enough. I'm a fan of the ellipsis too jonjacob, it's like what they call a "pregnant pause" and can really add to the tone of a post.

12. tournique

13. VinayaSpeaks

Nobody will read your work which is grammatically incorrect. Bad writing make visitors immediately get away from your webpage. Too many grammar mistakes will deter readers.
    I write in second language,therefore I am extra careful on the content I write.

14. swalia

I have worked for a few years as an English teacher and so I know the importance of grammar and punctuation. Nobody would like to read an article full of grammatical mistakes. One should read a lot to improve his vocabulary and writing style. Also one must carefully edit the article before posting it.