Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

front end

Discussion in 'Starting a (WordPress) Website' started by climberman, Jun 28, 2014.

1. climberman

2. SimplySidy

For themes, I would definitely recommend that you try themeforest.net - they have different kinds of themes and I am sure, you would definitely find one to your liking. Note that many of their themes are quite easy to customize - and that is what makes them my personal favorites.

You should have at least -
    1. SEO Plugin - you can select from either Yoast or the All In One SEO plugin - my favorites.
    2. If you are having too many images then you should also look at some of the Image Crunching and Optimizing plugins
    3. If you are on a shared server and need to keep refreshing your cache, you should also add a plugin for that.
    I could go on, but then, you have provided just a light description of what you want to do with the site.

3. climberman

Thanks Simplysidy

I want people to be able to put up pictures and right content. I know of the plugins you mentioned but I have never made a front end the lest other people add to it. Other then register or comments, will any plugin in make it easy to do.

4. SimplySidy

5. climberman

6. james1991

7. TIEro

This is annoyingly difficult to do on WordPress - it's built to let people into the back end (Dashboard) if you want them to be able to post. While that's efficient and everything, it's horribly unfriendly to your users if they're not at least a little WP-literate.

If you want a very simple post-your-own-pics setup, you may be better off with a gallery app, rather than WordPress - they're built for it, after all. If you want people to be able to post text as well, you either let them in the back end (as "Contributors", to limit what they can do) or write a front-end interface as part of your theme (or a plugin).

If you're letting them in the back end, I'd suggest installing Adminimize and set it up to limit precisely what they can see and do.

Incidentally, WP doesn't allow Contributors to upload media. You'll have to add a function to your theme's functions.php to give them that ability:

if ( current_user_can('contributor') && !current_user_can('upload_files') )
    add_action('admin_init', 'allow_contributor_uploads');

function allow_contributor_uploads() {
    $contributor = get_role('contributor');
    $contributor->add_cap('upload_files');
    }

Hope it helps!

8. climberman