Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free or paid theme

Discussion in 'Themes and Templates' started by aaronnz, Jul 13, 2014.

1. aaronnz

So I usually go for a free theme then spoof it up a bit so it looks decent.

What do you do do you use a free or a paid theme?

If you use a paid theme what company is it through?

Have you ever considered getting a custom made theme?

Are you a Wordpress theme designer?

2. jonjacob

For the majority of the blogs I am watching I am only going with free themes. This is mostly because they have yet to bring in any money, and I don't want to invest in anything until that starts to happen.

But, for our main business sites, mostly because of ease, we are going with a paid theme from ThemeForest.

3. SimplySidy

Okay, I have worked with both free and paid themes for my clients. The themes I recommend are from Themeforest and sometimes from TemplateMonster. The template monster dont have too many themes that are responsive so may not be suited to your requirements if you are looking out for responsive and mobile friendly themes.

I have been working as a wordpress coder for several years now and currently am doing my own theme for my own site. This I admit has been delayed due to the fact that I have been occupied with other things at hand and my own site has always taken a backseat as I work all alone.

4. jblogger

I'm just starting with Wordpress blogs and so I'm going with free themes. In the future if I start making money with any of them I may switch that to a paid theme but for starting I think there are some free ones that look good.

I don't know many sites where I can find free themes so I've only used the ones I can browse right from the admin panel of my wordpress installation.

5. Panda

I've never tried using a paid WordPress theme. I don't have the budget to purchase a premium theme. Besides, the free themes look pretty good IMO and most of them look professional. I think with enough editing - modifying the sidebars, menus, and providing unique content, your website would look awesome even if you're using a free theme.

Like jblogger, maybe I'll try some paid themes when I earn more money with my websites.

6. teabwoi

I use paid themes only when I am setting up a website for my clients but if the website is one of my own then I tend to just use a free theme. Paid themes to me look a lot more professional and they are really clean and nice that is why I like to use them when I am developing a website for my clients to use.

7. Renswan

When I set up a website for myself, I start off with a free theme that is responsive and suits all my basic needs. There are lots of free themes available that could actually pass as a paid theme, being visually very engaging. As soon as the site starts earning a consistent income through sales or ads, I tend to switch to a paid theme without any issues. That being said, if you have the funds to invest in your new website from the start, I would recommend a paid theme from ThemeForest.

8. Profit5500

What exact themes have you used that are worth the time from TemplateMonster? What is the cost to have a theme from that site?

9. Soulwatcher

I am using the graphene theme and I have modified it, I have been looking at free and paid themes and the graphene theme is just as good as most paid themes. If I can ever get my website to take off I will be investing in a paid theme. But I think for right now the free theme is doing a fine job. I have gotten many complements on my website.

Greg

10. SimplySidy

I have used quite a few - Wine, Travel and Cats being the most recent few. They were normally priced between 65-80 USD and were purchased by the client(s) for use on their sites based on my recommendations and their consideration. Later, we had to tweak a lot on the design aspects and with one, we also had to tweak codes to make the theme look to what the client needed.

11. themonk3y

I have not used any paid themes as of now because I have not yet made much money from my website. It makes sense to start investing money in your website if it is growing and paying you back. Buying a theme would be a waste of money if you end up making nothing from your website.

I have read you guys talking about installing themes and creating WordPress websites for clients. Can I get a little more detail on that ? I just want to make sure what sort of a Job is that you guys do for the clients and where do you find these clients who pay you for installing and creating WordPress websites ?

12. calicer1996

13. fivebyfive

I've only used paid themes for serious websites in the past. I've found that what I really like and appreciate about paid themes is that the manufacturer continues to work on the theme since they are turning a profit for the sale of the theme. Ultimately it comes down to the idea that with a paid theme you'll always be able to get upgrades to the theme over a period of even years.

14. Crashtester

I am totally new to Wordpress and at the moment I wouldn't consider a paid theme as I just don't know what the real benefit would be, although in my short time playing around with Wordpress I can see that the paid themes often offer more inbuilt customization. That is fine but right I don't really know what I can do with a free theme let alone a paid for theme with lots of bells and whistles!

15. Manoj

16. TIEro

I have never, ever seen the point of paying for a theme - none of them offer anything that honestly makes a site stand out as compellingly wow-inducing, IMHO. Of course, I don't run a big business with an entire marketing department telling me to pay lots of money for a theme because it needs x, y and z...!

Mostly, I use free themes and just mess with bits and pieces as required. I have built entire themes from scratch once or twice, but I don't enjoy it (not being an artsy creative type!). I prefer coding plugins, so I mostly use almost-empty page templates and do everything in php instead! Cheating, I know, but it gives me far better control over what appears on the front end. :)

17. raytim

18. tournique

19. TheViper

There are plenty of "premium" like themes that are free for people to use. Often, you can find paid themes listed for free for a limited time. I would always recommend for people to use a free theme before they go out spending money on a theme they barely know how to work.

20. tournique