Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forbidden Message When Logging In To Different Site

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & How-To's' started by ImNoTechie, Feb 5, 2017.

1. ImNoTechie

Hi everyone.

My sister is brand new to wordpressdotorg and asked me to help her learn to use the dash board. I wanted to log in to her site so that I could see what she does. But, when I tried to log in I couldn't get the log in page to come up at all. Instead, I get a "forbidden" message on a blank page telling me I don't have permission to access the server, and there's also a 403 error message on the page.

The page says:

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /wp-admin on this server.
    Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an Error Document to handle the request.

My sister's site is not live yet, but she can log in to her dashboard.

Can anyone here tell me how I can get to the log in page for her site? I typed her URL in the browser followed by /wp-admin and that's when I get the "forbidden" message. I tried logging out of my own site first, but it didn't work. I've read clearing my cache might work, but I REALLY don't want to do that.

I know there must be a way to do it since developers work on existing sites for clients (and I'm sure they don't have to clear their cache every time they work on a new site). Can anyone help me out?

Thank you!

2. WPhelp

Administrator Staff Member

3. ImNoTechie

I tried using Firefox and IE. Neither one worked. I got the same message. Is clearing my cache the only other alternative? And what if that doesn't work?

4. WPhelp

5. ImNoTechie

I don't see what plugins have to do with it, but I have very few so I'll list them here for you. They are: Akismet, Google XML sitemaps, Gravity forms, Instabuilder 2.0, Jetpack by wordpress.com, Mango buttons, Simple social icons, Sumo, Wordpress importer, and WP 101.

Some of these were added by the people who created the site for me - Gravity forms, Simple social icons, Wordpress importer, Akismet, Google XML sitemaps. And some of these I can't delete because if I did it would affect my website.

I added the rest and don't want to delete any of them. For example, the Instabuilder plugin is something I paid for and it helps me create sales pages.

6. WPhelp