Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For SEO is it best to use 301 forwarding or cloaking?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by Alexa, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Alexa

Hi, I hope someone has experience of this, but I am using some free domains to forward to my wordpress sites right now to see how they work out. I've read that cloaking confuses SEO where a 301 redirect is better for SEO.

It's too soon to say as it will take a month or so for me to notice anything, so what are the advantages? Currently I have set it to a 301 forwarding option, but cloaking is the default.

Thanks.

2. WPhelp

Administrator Staff Member

In the terms that you have explained you have it set up, you wont actually find any positive benefit of URL forwarding or cloaking unless the URL's that you are forwarding get a lot of traffic.

However, if that were the case, which I doubt it is, (as you say they are free domains) so I'm assuming a web 2.0 or a social account or something similar it being forwarded to your URL.

Only sites that have their own presence, ranking and authority that are pointing to your web pages will give you any positive results and those sites that point to you need to also be on the same topic as your site (generally speaking) and also have some authority themselves, otherwise such a link wouldn't give you much if any benefit at all.

3. johnniewalk