Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Duplicate Title and Short Title in WordPress Blog

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & How-To's' started by sangyong321, Aug 11, 2016.

1. sangyong321

Hi All,

I want to apologize in advance if my question is very beginner level as I am very new to wordpress. I am setting up a blog and added few postes to it (around 40 posts). So, I did manual crawl of website by using Screaming Frog SEO Spider and found some results which I am not able to understanding on how to resolve.

Issues 1: Duplicate Titles: I see the crawl showing duplicate titles errors, but when I see these links they are showing filter by some tag based URL which I am not getting how to edit and add titles (if any need to add). Given below are some for your reference.
    Duplicae Title Issue 1.PNG Short Title Issue 2.PNG
    Issue 2: Short Titles: Again when I did crawl I got an error with short title and again there are mostly tag and some filter section. I have attached the screen shot of the same below.

Thank you for help.

2. Joe Howard

Hi there! WordPress beginners are always welcome - we were all one once!

1) When it comes to Screaming Frog scraping URLs, titles, etc, I would take the results with a grain of salt. They're definitely not always perfect and I usually go back through and check source code to double check the results. There can be discrepancies.

upload_2016-8-11_9-57-22.png

2) DUPLICATE TITLE TAGS: It looks like you're using some sort of plugin to sort your posts by popularity, review, or just randomly? The plugin will create duplicates of the page and add the extensions you see above in your screenshot (making them not really duplicates). So while it looks like duplicates are being created, they're actually just the plugin's way of creating these orderings - not big deal, and won't negatively affect your SEO.

2) SHORT TITLE TAGS: According to the source code of your site, these title tags are correct. Here's how Google sees the title of your homepage. "Home |"

upload_2016-8-11_9-52-56.png

I would recommend using the Yoast SEO plugin to make sure the page titles and meta descriptions are set correctly!

Hope this helps! comment below with additional questions and I'd be happy to continue providing help :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2016