Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domain name redirection

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & How-To's' started by Benji17, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Benji17

HI,

Newbie here.

I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction - I have done a website for a neighbour on 1&1.

They currently have a site (and domain name) hosted elsewhere. It is a shocker (VERY dated!) but they have a long-standing relationship with their current hosts/providers.

What I need to know is the easiest way to point their domain at the site I have created on 1&1. Do I need to deal with this, or do I need to provide their hosts with the 1&1 name servers and they will do the rest?

Also, what will the displayed URL lookalike when people visit the site? E.g. will it say "www.theirdomain.co.uk" or will it say "www.mydomainnameon1&1.co.uk"??

Apologies for the amateurish nature of this post. I am fairly tech savvy but the nuances of URLs, domain name providers, hosting and Wordpress escape me sometimes!!

2. Benji17

3. WPhelp

Administrator Staff Member

4. Benji17

5. Sumeet Shroff

Hi...You can change the A records of the domain name to point ONLY the webhost to your server.... Avoid using look alike domain name or redirections because that will effect SEO. Whatever you build keep in mind that the urls stays that way...otherwise in future you will face a lot of issues

6. junaid Ismail