Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does your Title Matter?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by craig1985, Apr 1, 2015.

1. craig1985

To me, titles are the most important step in any content creation. If people don't like the title or what it offers, they will not click through to read the content.

• Search engines use your titles to display search results.
    • Huge SEO potential in the titles alone.
    • Good titles should grab the attention of the reader.
    1. It does not matter what you search for on a search engine, there will be millions of results given to you. All the searcher has to go on is a title, the website URL and a short description. If you want a reader to click your link, your title needs to grab their attention immediately.

2. A major factor in how your website does in the search engines for a search term all comes down to how you use your title tags. For this reason, it is very important that when viewing a post, the title of the post is also the title tag of the page.

3. We have already covered grabbing the attention of possible readers above so I guess this just makes it doubly important. :)

What Makes a Good Title?

• Length - Long titles do not do as well as short titles. All of your titles should be fairly short but get the point across perfectly. Also, if your title is too long, the search engines can not display the whole title which can mean you miss out of lots of potential traffic.
    • Be Real - Don't make false claims about the post in order to get views. If you care about long term loyal readers, then don't trick them in to clicking the title to read the content if it does not live up to what they expected.
    • Fill the Gaps - Find what people need answers to and give them those answers. One method that I use is to find what questions are being asked on websites such as Yahoo Answers related to my niche and then creating a post to answer it. I only then need to link to the content as a source on YA. If one person has the question, many more will too.
    • Key Words - Another way of boosting your SEO using the titles are to include keywords (don't spam it). If you needed the answer for what you have written, what would you type in the search engine? Think about using those keywords as the title.
    Please feel free to include your own tips below.

2. Khurram Shahzad

Hi Craig1985,
    You are right bro. Title's does matter. Especially, when talk about SEO. Then a website without having title's is not considered good.
    Google or other search engine's like the websites which are user friendly.

People now a days do not have much time to read the whole post. A post having a nice and appealing title will increase its worth.

3. 123andrew

4. OhioTom76

Including your target keywords in your title is important because it will likely increase the click through rates of your SERP listings, which will in turn help improve your overall SEO. Any time a word or words from a user's search query is in the title of the SERPs listed, those words will automatically get bolded. SERP listings with bolded text generally get better click through rates, since it shows the user that those particular results are more closely related to their actual search query.

I've seen this boost my click through rates on pay per click ads in almost every single instance, when compared against ad copy that did not have any of the keywords in the title or description. In fact, Google AdWords even offers a feature known as Dynamic Keyword Insertion, where it can auto insert your keyword phrases into your ads, because it's been shown to increase click through rates consistently.

5. rz3300

If I have learned one thing in my career of writing and in my shorter career of online activity, I can absolutely say that a title matters in everything that you write. Even the greatest academic paper needs a good title. It is the first thing that people read, and therefore it sets the stage. It is a tool at the writer's disposal, to be used as they desire.. Use it well.

6. VinayaSpeaks

Title matters because the title is the face value of your content. No one is going to search your content if you have published an article with the title "How I cooked chicken chili," However, if you title differently, for example "Chicken Chili Recipe," your content can be found on search engines which may attract visitor.

7. djwphelp

When thinking about a title, I always try to see what "autofill" shows me on Amazon and Google. Then I combine that with the keywords from the keyword planner and from my old reports for a niche, and voila - a brand new, sharp and optimized title emerges.

8. swalia

9. VinayaSpeaks

The title is the face value of your content. The first criteria for search engine indexing is title. Visitors land on your page only if they like the title. If you have a good title, you can attract traffic and readers. Your title must always contain search terms.