Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you use public domain content?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Raymond, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Raymond

2. akstgsb

3. blackcoffee

Public domain content isn't a bad idea although it really shouldn't be what you rely on. Unless of course your site is geared specifically towards public domain content and you're attempting to appeal to that niche of the public. Should you use public domain content in general though? Yeah absolutely. Why not? If you find a great picture in the public domain that sits perfectly in your article go right ahead.

But the thing is that public domain content is really ubiquitous and it's all over the place. So just using images or whatever that a lot of other people are using as well isn't really the best way to distinguish your brand as a creative entity.

4. TIEro

I'd never use it, simply because it would defeat any SEO efforts made anywhere else on the site. Publishing duplicate content will get you a slap-down on your ranking every time, even if the rest of the site is unique. Why shoot yourself in the foot just before you start running towards your goals? :D

5. james1991

6. goodreplays

In my research that I have done, I have came to the conclusion that visitors like to see fresh and intricate content. For example, if they search various blogs in a certain niche, they may find the same content only because some people use what the first page of Google says. Therefore, it is better to create your own content as that will not only improve your skill but show off your creativity in the process!

7. jonjacob

Ultimately, when writing anything like a blog (book, magazine, website) you want to understand that your readers have a choice. In order to make sure that they chose your content over somebody else's you need to make sure that you value their time. This all goes back to the golden rule, do unto others as you'd have done to you...

So, in content creation, especially if it is already published content, you should ask yourself if what you are posting is really something that the reader would find value in. If you are just trying to fill space, you should really check your motives - Why are you doing this?

People can see through a "content filler" easily, so be careful - this would bring a much worse penalty than SEO impact, it will get you branded by your potential readers as "not worth it".

8. craig1985

9. VinayaSpeaks

10. swalia

11. rz3300

The only plugin that I have really heard of is called SocialPublish, and just by the sound of it, it is probably what you are looking for. I know that it works with facebook, as does anything really, but I am not sure if it works with all of the other platforms that are out there. I would look into though, and it might make your experience a whole lot easier. I would always do my research though and see if it can give you everything that you need.

12. rz3300

Oops...that was meant for something else. I did intend to respond to this though, and that is because I have always been told to avoid public domains and have heard my fair share of horror stories. Thankfully they do not apply to me, but anytime you hear about losing your entire work just for something that you might not even think of when you first start. Always be weary and take security very seriously.

13. Natalie Andersen