Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Wordpress Theme

Discussion in 'Themes and Templates' started by akstgsb, Dec 29, 2013.

1. akstgsb

VinayaSpeaks likes this.
  2. Anderson5

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  3. Jacob

It actually depends on if you are hosting with WordPress.com or WordPress.org. The .com site does not allow uploading custom themes, but the .org site does. If you have to pay a seperate hosting fee to another company besides WordPress (Like Dreamhost), then you likely went with WordPress.org and can upload a custom theme. If your site ends ".wordpress.com", then you likely went with WordPress.com and cannot upload a custom theme.

4. SimplySidy

In case you are hosting your website where you can add themes, there are two distinct ways to go about it -

1. The normal method is - Log in to your Dashboard, Goto Appearance -> Themes -> Install Themes -> Upload -> Browse and then Upload. [In this case you can upload the zip file containing your theme].

2. The second method is to upload the theme files using the FTP - Connect to your website using an FTP client -> Browse to the wp-content/themes folder. Create a New Folder (normally the name of the theme) and get into this folder and upload the files.

Anyway you do it, after the install you would have to get to - Appearance->Themes and select the theme and Activate it.

5. Allison2021

6. Allison2021

Thanks Jacob,
    I did not know there was a difference between WordPress.com, and WordPress.org.
    I do remember the Laughing Squid because of its design. Yet, I thought that cost money. Whereas the other, I would set it up manually but it was free. Now, I know there was an alternative. Perhaps I should once more check out the Laughing Squid because setting up a blog is not easy. The professionals could probably set it up in and hour or less.
    Once more, thank you Jacob.

7. Allison2021

8. VinayaSpeaks

In order to use a third party theme with your wordpress site, you have to first upload the theme on your WP Admin and then activate it.
    PS: I have a question for you, did you design your custom theme or hired someone to do it for you. I have a website and I also want a custom made theme.