Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any free Slider Plugin for easily hotlinking pictures?

Discussion in 'Plugins and Hacks' started by Panda, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Panda

There are a ton of slider plugins for WordPress. One of my favorites (which I currently use for one site) is Cyclone Slider. However, in order to add a picture, you should upload it first. I want a slider plugin that allows you to just hotlink an image and then display it in the slider. That would be much easier and would take up less space on my website.

I've seen a slider plugin that does this but it's not free. Do you know of any that's free?

2. WPhelp

Administrator Staff Member

It depends if the images are yours and hosted on your sites, the plugin I use on my sites (Revolution Slider) allows for an image URL to fetch the images, in certain circumstances. (otherwise know as an absolute URL) However, the problem with hot-linking an image that isn't yours is the fact that you might not have the rights to the image and you are also using someone Else's bandwidth to serve that image, which isn't a good thing to do.

If you own the images you could use DropBox or Amazon web services or some similar hosted service but your still basically paying for that bandwidth anyway. If your hosting cant handle serving your images without degrading performance, you might want to upgrade to a more powerful hosting solution and just upload them to the media gallery.

Hope that helps!

3. tmgenterprises

Hot-linking is not the smartest thing to do. It will hurt your reputation when people catch you stealing their bandwidth (and that is what you would be doing) and can even get you sued for copyright infringement. Is it worth saving a few bucks on your own bandwidth?

4. Panda

Thanks. I'll definitely look into Revolution Slider. It's free right?

Yeah, with regards to hot linking, it's not the most decent thing to do. However, I see a lot of people doing it. Even famous websites. The thing is, It's just a pain in the butt to upload pictures to my media library since I don't really have a very reliable internet connection. :(

Anyways, when the time comes that I have people working for me to help me on my websites, I'll probably stop hotlinking. :D

5. Code89