Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About Wordpress Codex

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & How-To's' started by SimplySidy, Jun 26, 2014.

1. SimplySidy

So a few days back, I was writing a theme for a client and I ran into some issues with wordpress. To be exact, it was about creating of a custom post type and then getting it displayed along with the posts on the home page.

I had hopes that the stuff they have on their codex would suffice and show me a way on how to get the issue fixed. Unfortunaely when I hopped on to the codex, I found nothing substantial and helpful. Though many of their stuff is well written but somewhere I do feel, that it could have been more simpler if they had an order - I see that many of the Tags are not that greatly written and can be quite confusing for a newbie and also at times to people with intermediate experience.

I find that there are too many of blogs out there that deliver the solutions to problems that you normally run into when doing Theme Development or otherwise with wordpress.

What is your Opinion? Or is it just me who thinks that the documentation on Wordpress Codex can and should be improved to suite all people on board ?

2. TIEro

I've used the Codex an awful lot in the last year or so, and I loathe it. It suffers from incomplete entries, outdated entries and downright inaccurate entries.

On top of that, it's one of those infuriating documents where it's only easy to find what you need if you already know what you're looking for. If you're stuck with a fairly typical problem, such as not knowing which function to use for a specific purpose, you don't have a snowball's chance in hell of finding anything useful. Once you know which function to use, you can look it up - but that defeats the purpose of a reference document, in my eyes.

Personally, I almost always go to StackExchange first, find out what the thing I need is called, then go to the Codex and look it up. Frequently, the solution itself is on SE, so I don't even need the Codex.

3. SimplySidy

That is exactly how I felt and I still recall the harrowing times on the Codex. I started wordpress when it was quite new and in its initial stages (around 2006-7) and since then, things were quite similar until their biggest changeovers (version 2.8-3.0). Now the knowledge I had until last year was good for earlier versions, but today, it just doesnt seem to be taking me anywhere.

I also tried reading a few books but they too seemed to contain older information. Thankfully, the community at SE is better and seem to be more knowledgeable. But still, they dont explain the concepts many a times and that keeps me feeling that I lack many things.