Web Hosting
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100% cpu on wordpress index page!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & How-To's' started by Soulwatcher, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Soulwatcher

I have been having problems with my website hitting 100% cpu and I am running a blog and forum so when that happens I get errors in Xenforo. I have since blocked 3rd world countries and I have installed wordfence and I have limited requests. Is there any thing else I can do to help cut down on cpu processes?

P.S. so far its been running pretty good but it usually hits 100% cpu around 3 or 4 am.

Greg

2. SimplySidy

Without getting to see your website it is going to be tough to recommend a suggestion. Also, I know, you have a server running at your own place (from other forums).

Now, the first question I would ask is - is this 100% CPU on the server or the client (I mean the system where you open up your wordpress home page). If so, the issue might be on the home page.

What do you have on your home Page ? I believe there are lots of images and sliders.

And if the issue is when browsing on Firefox, I believe the newer Firefox has some issues - there are times when I have just a few tabs open and my desktop goes too slow. In such a situation - try switching to Chrome. That should help ease the CPU load.

Also, there are times when you use plugins with conflicting scripts that the CPU loads up. Check out on that aspect too.

And finally, if all fails, it has to be the bridge between the wordpress and xenforo. I have mentioned it earlier - both these applications are process centric and when run together, they only complicate issues when there are too many open sockets and ports on the server. Try disabling it during the peak load time and you might locate the issue.
    As I mentioned, without getting to look into codes, it will be difficult.

3. Soulwatcher

I sold my server last year I am using Stable Host Enterprise plan, which is basically a big shared hosting account. I really can not afford to drop the bridge because the website will not function with out it. Because the bridge reads xenforo and post information in wordpress. About the only thing I can do is drop wordpress and run a portal from Xenforo instead.

P.S. I just checked my cpanel a few minutes ago and I hit 90% cpu today. I really need to find out whats going on. I blocked tow more countries today I am going to see if that helps.

Greg

4. calicer1996

5. Soulwatcher

I figured out what was going on they were trying to brute force my website So I blocked access to the wp-admin page and I used Modsecurity to limit connections and so far I have not hit the CPU limit in two days now. My only wish is, I wish my host would have been more helpful through this process!

Greg

6. SimplySidy

Unfortunately the hosts are not much bothered about your website and the issues. They are more interested in providing you their services as long as you keep paying them. My host too of late has started behaving erratic. On the last case, they had suspended a website (my client) citing the 404.php of wordpress is a threat to security!!!Can you believe that ?

7. tournique

That's stupid, really. They shouldn't suspend any website without noticing you.