Divi 

WordPress Theme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wordpress: .com vs .org

Discussion in 'WordPress Resources' started by Jacob, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Jacob

I have heard many questions regarding the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org. Are they the same company? What's the difference? Which do you recommend?

Basically, .com is for people who have less experience with creating websites and like things to be provided for them (such as the hundreds of themes and widgets to choose from) and are looking for the simplest solution for making a personal blog, while .org is for people who have a little more experience with websites (but even still, .org doesn't really require a ton of knowledge) and wants to be able to customize their blog to a much greater extent by installing plugins or using a custom theme. .org hosting will require you to purchase a domain and find hosting for it.

If you are still unsure as to which host to use (.com or .org), I highly suggest reading this support article:http://en.support.wordpress.com/com-vs-org/

Which hosting site do you prefer?

2. elliep

I personally want to have full control over the website I build, including code, domain, hosting etc. so the .org site is certainly the one I go for. The thing is I think for anyone seriously going about building and learning the system, and therefore learning some web coding and design, .org is the only way to go.

.com is too cookie cutter!

3. jonjacob

Because I have experience coding, I guess I defaulted to the WordPress.org because it had so much more available to me. The access to the code files was excellent.

That being said, it is still easy enough for anyone to be able to handle setting up a theme, posting a page and creating a blog entry. My wife, who is not incredibly technically savvy was able to handle all of that without even consulting me. I have been her admin, and have ironed out a few of the kinks, but really .org is very simple to use as well.

4. Profit5500

5. muller

My portfolio is on wordpress.org. I think wordpress.com is more for hobby blogs than professional use. It would give a very bad image to potential clients if a business or professional used a wordpress.com domain instead of their own domain. Having a good domain is part of the brand image.

6. mustafa jamal

7. mustafa jamal

8. amybrownwpx

Hi Jacob

WordPress (.org) is where “WordPress” the software is freely available to the public. The same goes for thousands of plugins, in addition to a number of “premium” plugins that can be purchased separately. It is terrific resource for “do it yourself” site owners. With support forums and tons of “how to” information, site owners can modify their designs and functionality to the limits of their creativity. In short, WordPress (.org), the sky is the limit, and you won’t need to pay to remove third-party ads. With no restrictions, you can modify the core PHP, add fancy jQuery elements, use any theme you like, and/or install any plugin you want.

Over on WordPress (.com), things are flipped a bit. Installation is a snap, and the web hosting is provided. And, ignoring the usual asterisks, the hosting is free!

I hope this will help you out. :)

Thanks

Amy

9. VinayaSpeaks

as far as I know wordpress.com is a hosting service from wordpress and wordpress.org is a open source for content management system. If you want free wordpress blog or paid wordpress blog, you go to wordpress.com.However, if you want wordpress as CMS you go to wordpress.org

10. Richard Wickham

wordpress.com is self hosted and ideal for personal blogs and on the other hand, wordpress.org is ideal for all kind of websites and blogs. At wordpress.com, you blog will contain few ads as you don't have complete control over your blog but with wordpress.org, you won't find any ads and can create even your online store on it.