Divi 

WordPress Theme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Are The Benefits?

Discussion in 'WordPress Multisite (MU)' started by Sharper, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Sharper

2. Markus

I have used MU on several directory sites and I use the same theme for each city, but I then change the color of each site (city) I create using MU.

So for example, I would have www.cityguide.com/suburb1, www.cityguide.com/suburb2, www.cityguide.com/suburb3, www.cityguide.com/suburb3 and so on, all of which would be managed from ither the main site CITYGUIDE AG OR any of the suburbs WP admin panels, for example: www.cityguide.com/suburb1/wp-admin, www.cityguide.com/suburb2/wp-admin, www.cityguide.com/suburb3/wp-admin and so on. It's very convenient and allows for a great deal of control.

It does have a learning curve to it, but it's a great way to ad multiple subfolders at the push of a button and to manage large sites!

I really love WordPress MU :)

3. james1991

I think the directory site with multisite idea is a good one. I find multisite is also good for creating entirely new websites but keeping everything under the same WordPress installation. You can even map each site in your multisite network to have its own domain via a domain mapping plug in.

4. TIEro

Management is the biggest advantage. Having a single, central control panel for all your blogs instead of having to go through and update, check and maintain them all individually is a massive plus. The downsides are the learning curve and the limitations, which can be a real killer if you want to do something innovative and different.

I tried WPMS for a set of blogs I set up, and ended up installing multiple instances of normal WP instead: the MS side limited everything so badly that the efficiency and space gains were worthless.

5. fivebyfive

6. DTracy3

7. zenfive

I've never used Multisite, but reading these posts I can tell that it seems like a pretty efficient tool to use. I think I definitely might give it a go soon and see for myself. As for the learning curve, is it really that steep? Or does it just take a while to set up and stuff, other than that I would assume it's not a whole lot different than managing your WP site as normal (with some extra things to take care of obviously).

8. rz3300

I have no personal experience but I would assume that the consolidation factor is a major benefit. Having to treat each blog individually and attend to each one when it comes to updates and the like is certainly a tall order, and anytime that you can cut down on that hassle I think that the material probably benefits. That is what I am gathering from others as well.

9. livetoerr

I didn't even know there was such a thing. I'm going to have to look into it as I want to run a blog site that's separate from my business site but don't really want to pay extra for hosting (at least until I start making money on either, that is).

10. Richard Wickham