Divi 

WordPress Theme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Timing Your Blogs

Discussion in 'General Marketing Discussion' started by Snipper, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Snipper

2. akstgsb

3. irenesgarcia

4. johnnear

Of course timing is crucial if you want your blogs to get some whiff of attention. It's a good strategy since some people are more active at certain times of the day. I've really not tested it out but for the most part, I notice that some of my blog entries get more hits at certain times of the day so I keep in mind to post on those certain periods.

5. Jacob

WordPress allows you to set the date and time you want your posts to be published. On the "New Post" page, look for a box on the right that says "Publish". In that box, you should see something that says "Publish immediately Edit". Press the "Edit" button. From there, you can set the time and date you want the post to be published. (Note: I believe it uses military time, such as 14:00 for 2:00 PM).

6. faithful

7. SimplySidy

When you are on the social media, not everyone amongst your friends is online at the same time as we all come from different parts of the globe. As such, the timing factor is quite essential. You have to ascertain - when the target audience of your new post would be online and this is the time when you put it out on the social media.

Though the publishing part need not be in accordance with their timezones, the advertizing should be. That is the catch. With an earlier client, we used to write during our day (that is in IST) but as the client was from US, he would publish the adverts on the social media during his CST and that all was fine for him.

Publish your content anytime when it is ready - but advertize it during the time when your targetted audience is online.

And yes, there are a few things that you can look into to automate this. Plugins are one way and the other way is to use the Cron Jobs on your webservers. Once set, they will help you do a single set of tasks at the same time every day automatically. (Though these are quite complicated stuff, and it might not be everytime that you would publish your content at this set time).

8. jonjacob

SimpleSidy that would be a correct statement. You only want to let people know about your blog at times when the majority of your user demographic is online. This means that it goes into their facebook or twitter feed when they can see it immediately, without it getting lost in the malaise.

That said, because writing a blog is a creative process, you don't want to set times (unless it is part of your writing process). Instead, when an idea hits, you should write it. This will make the creation of content easier and the way it is written more natural.

9. jblogger

And now that jonjacob mentioned Facebook and Twitter I read a study that said that people start using Facebook more from Thursday on. So if you are planning on adding content to your blog and promoting it in Facebook doing so on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays looks like a good option. If you time your blog post to be live by those days the chances on getting traffic from Facebook increases.

I don't know about Twitter, but I think it could be the same.

10. limcid

You can setup Google Analytics for your site, and then use the data about your visitors to determine when might be the best time to post new content. The analytics can provide plenty of info to help you make informed decisions about many things concerning your site. It's a tremendous asset for any site owner.

DougMorrison likes this.
  11. Soulwatcher

I do this, I always try and write articles around midnight so that my readers have something fresh to read in the morning. Also I get a lot more comments if I publish something around midnight then if I publish something in the after noon. (for that day)

Greg

12. Navii

Yeah it really helps to time your posts since it makes a huge difference if you post it when no one is online compared to when most of your readers are online. Google Analytics is pretty useful if you are not quite sure when your readers are online.

13. themonk3y

No I have not done it myself I just barely started my new blog and working on building an email list.

Yes this can be done automatically but you will need to have a account on a emailing service provider such as Mailchimp or Aweber. They allow you to send automatic emails on specific times. The specific time can be changed to the receivers local time. Both of these do not allow sending automatic emails for free so you will have to get a paid account with them.

14. calicer1996

15. missbishi

Timing your posts is important, particularly if you are using social media to promote your blog. There is much debate about the optimum times to do this but I would suggest posting at a time when people are generally online, for example, before work, lunchtime and after the evening meal. I would also avoid posting at the same time as an important event is happening - people will be glues to their televisions for the duration, then will be clogging up each other's Facebook feeds with their thoughts afterwards. This means that any Facebook posts or tweets will get "lost" and move towards the bottom of feeds very quickly.

16. swalia

17. VinayaSpeaks

If you receive a very large traffic, you must publish at least twice a week. However, if you have a moderate traffic, one article per week is good. Publishing more means your old articles will be buried under your new articles. Too much publication also means your readers will avoid reading your article.

18. swalia

19. johnniewalk

When you targeting an USA users then through social media just observe the timings where lot of users will use social media sites like facebook, linkedin etc.. So on that time if you share your blog then their is a chance that lot of users will view your blog..

20. Amandawil

Hi Snipper, I totally agree with other professionals you should post articles or blogs only twice in a week. Use pictures or videos with blogs is a good thing to attract more visitors. Most people understand your blog concept through pictures. And also try to add reference links at the end of blogs.