Divi 

WordPress Theme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surprised no one has posted this here yet! Codex

Discussion in 'WordPress Resources' started by Navii, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Navii

Codex

It's THE resource for Wordpress for me. Everything I need to know or want to know, I can find it there. Easily accessible all together in one place and it also looks quite nice. I don't know what i would do without this site since it helped me out of a lot of catch-22 situations. I'm not allowed to post links so just google "codex wordpress" and it should be the first link.

2. jonjacob

3. TIEro

That's one opinion. :)

Personally, I find the Codex is horrible. It's badly written, even for a coding resource that's designed specifically for developers. It's incomplete, has outdated information and it is horrifically difficult to find useful information in there. I've usually found that I need to know what I'm looking for before I can find it, which defeats the purpose of a reference.

I find a better place to look for detail is StackExchange. I check there for similar issues to whatever I'm struggling with, then turn to the Codex when I know the skeleton of what I'm building. Even then, it's unreliable.

My 2c.

4. Navii

I guess that doesn't bother me that much, because I usually know roughly what I'm looking for and just need the details. I see where you are coming from though. It's actually quite hard to find something if you don't know what you are looking for. I didn't know about StackExchange but I think next time I'm stuck somewhere I'm gonna give it a try.

5. calicer1996

6. SimplySidy

Reading your Heading for the discussion I hoped on here to tell you that I had a discussion on codex here on this forum. You can find it here - add the HTTP thing before the text -
    wphelpforum.com/wordpress-troubleshooting/134-about-wordpress-codex.html

I believe you are into something that is quite simpler and use it just for reference. And until now you have not come across a situation where you find nothing useful or the information on that page is incorrect or even missing.

7. razelia

As much as the Codex is my go to for WP problems, a problem I've had with it is that it sometimes has areas that aren't even properly updated to match with the latest version of WP. Granted, there are very few parts of it that are like that, but imagine creating a problem for your own website just because of that.

And like some of the others said, the organization is a bit of a mess. Sometimes I'd actually find better tutorials and resources from others running their own WP blogs and sharing what they know.