Divi 

WordPress Theme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Revenue from my blog?

Discussion in 'Starting a (WordPress) Website' started by Jesterkins, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Jesterkins

Since I'm probably a huge "newbie" when it comes to WordPress, I'm here to ask for help. I recently found myself in a tight spot financially and I'm looking for extra ways to make some money.

Since many of you have blogs of your own, what do you use when it comes to ads? I've heard of Chikita and Google Adsense but are there any more? Pros and Cons? Any information will be extremely helpful.

Also, do you have any more ways to make some income via your blog?

Somewhat off topic, how do some of you increase your traffic on your blog? I've always had a problem getting people to look at my blog (when I had one ages ago) and I'm curious on if I'm just doing something wrong.

Thank you in advance!

2. Jacob

To answer your first question, I much prefer Adsense over Chitika. I believe Adsense generates more revenue than Chitika. I'm also not a fan of the look of the ads that Chitika displays. In my opinion, Adsense' ads look more professional.

There are plugins available to restrict certain areas of your blog to "premium members", if you want to go that route. Personally I'm not a fan of that option, but if you have a page that you believe people should pay to access, it is possible. You can also add an e-commerce store to your blog, selling virtual or real items through a store.

Traffic can be generated through paid advertising and free ways. Google Adwords allows for paid advertising. There are coupons you can get that give you $100 of advertising if you spend $25, which is a pretty good deal. Free traffic takes more work. One way you can generate free traffic is through having a link to your site in your signature. We allow access to signatures after you have made 50 quality posts. Once you have reached that, you are able to add a link to your blog in your signature, which sends free traffic to your blog.

If you want to know more about a certain topic, feel free to ask and I (or someone else) can elaborate.

3. Jesterkins

Thank you for the quick response, Jacob. I've been working on a few ideas when it comes to my blog but none have seemed to materialized just yet. The information you provided is great. Most of which I had some idea about but didn't know about the plugins to restrict areas of the blog. That will come in handy down the road!

When it comes to an e-commerce store, what suggestions would you have for virtual items? I understand the aspect of real items like if I was going to have a blog with craft items or something and sell some of my work.

4. Jacob

Some people sell "virtual items" on their websites. With this, you'd have to get creative. Basically what I meant by that is that you don't have to sell physical items. For example, some websites sell custom titles or ebooks, which are virtual items.

It all really just depends on how creative you are and what your website is.

5. wander_n_wonder

It's very difficult to get approved at Google Adsense, so when I was new to blogging, I opted for Chitika first. Their rules are less stricter and you get more chances of earning from your blog in a shorter period of time. Of course, you still have to follow the basic protocols in blogging to get ad earnings, but at least you don't have to wait forever before you start to see some funds getting into your account.

6. themonk3y

Chitika and adsense are not the only ad networks on internet there are hundreds of them or may be thousands of them I am not sure. From what I have read adsense is the best ad network for any sort of website and chitika is good too.

Another good way to make money through your blog would be affiliate marketing where you promote products and earn commissions for referring people. You could also create your own products such as writing an E-book sell and promote it on your blog.

Getting traffic to your website is one of the hardest things to do these days especially if you are starting of in a niche with a lot of competition. That's why many people stress on finding a niche with low competition. Do some research before starting a blog, know which keywords you want to rank for, know your competition and what keywords your competitor is focusing on.

Some general ways to get traffic to your website include social media, where you could share you content/website among your friends and followers. There are also traffic exchange websites where you visit others websites and in return they visit your website. Then there are search engines which send you traffic for free but it is hard to rank high in Search results for a newbie.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  7. Profit5500

I guess I would have get working if I wanted to add my links to my signature. I think 50 posts may not take as long depending on what is done. Free traffic for your blog is not the way to go. Unfortunately paid services is the way to go if you want to make it through this world.

8. Profit5500

9. themonk3y

50 posts might take only a week but your focus should not be on making 50 posts. Your focus should be on writing high quality replies and creating useful threads if you want to get some traffic through the link in your signature. It is very unlikely that people will visit the link in your signature if you are making low quality posts on any forum. Make posts relevant to the sites you want to link in to your signature.

Which is better free traffic or paid traffic ? It depends on what you are trying to achieve and what are your objectives, if you are trying to sell a product you are better off with paid traffic but if you are running a simple blog about a topic I think free traffic is the way to go especially organic traffic (traffic from the search engines).

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  10. TIEro

There's been some really good advice so far, but I'd like to add that it takes 6-9 months for the average blog to get regular traffic of any significant size. Blogging is NOT a way to make money quickly. If you're in a tight spot, aim for direct paid work (freelancing) or look in the real world rather than online.

There are hundreds of them. AdSense is the king of CPC (you get paid for clicked ads). Chitika was horrible when I tried it, but they just teamed up with Yahoo, so maybe they're better now (or just doomed, given Yahoo's track record!). There are loads of CPM advertisers as well (you get paid for impressions) and a lot of hybrids (who mix paid for clicks, for leads, for sales and for impressions).

There are millions of ways, but I suck at marketing. The best way is really just to be active: post regularly, do guest blogging, hang out on social media, make videos for YT, put your URL in your sig, etc. The more people see the site URL, the more will visit.

11. jonjacob

This is definitely the truth. If your goal with blogging is to create revenue, then you need to create a base of valuable information for your readers. If you just try to write random posts, you really won't get anywhere - when you write you need to ask yourself, "Would I want to read about this?"

12. themonk3y

That is what Google says, you need to write valuable content for your readers. When ever you start writing a new post or article you need to ask yourself is this information helpful. Do you trust the information you have just written. If yes then automatically it will get a good ranking in Google. Random posts might get you some readers over time but you wont be able to make enough passive income from your blog. If you are really serious about blogging you should focus on a specific niche which you are interested or passionate about.

13. jonjacob

Definitely. Being a writer, I can tell you that your readers can see through false attempts to interact with them about your chosen topic. If you really care about what you are talking about, and are really passionate, you also have the added benefit that the blog won't feel like a job. You can't underestimate that as a motivator to keeping it going with content. Those things you feel passionate about will flow out of you...and you likely will have already researched them in the past.

themonk3y, your suggestion about finding a niche is spot on. People always undervalue niches, thinking that they can't make the big time if they go niche...actually the most successful bloggers, youTubers and business are serving a very specific niche, or at least started out that way. The niche allows you to hone your skills, and gain a following of committed readers.

14. themonk3y

I thought the same when I first read about getting a real specific niche. I kind of ignored it and started a blog for a wide audience/ a wide niche. After a few failed attempts I finally realized that it is really difficult to target such a wide audience on your own. Targeting a wide audience can work if you have a team with you. Doing it on your own is almost impossible.

15. raytim

Adsense is always on top of the list; then comes chitika; however chitika is nowhere compared to adsense. Try to select quality kws which bring you at least $1 for each click (you can hire someone to do the kw research for you); then set up the site, add quality posts and start doing SEO for it. When your site gets traffic, the chance you get money from adsense is higher. Make sure you do not click the ads yourself. I got my adsense account banned with me clicking the ads on my site once :(

16. mustafa jamal

17. mustafa jamal

such a cool advice i love this too.

18. mustafa jamal

19. swalia

20. livetoerr

I have not published my blog yet as I'm still working on my first post. I started writing it Tuesday and then Wednesday my dog ran into me while running full speed from behind. He ended up giving me whiplash and an awesome goose egg. So for the last couple days I've been resting.

Anyways, when I get to the point of trying to generate cash - I'm going to use affiliate links. Also, there are a lot of good articles to read if you use Pinterest. They have a plethora of information for the new blogger and what you can do to generate extra cash. Good luck!

Raymond_ likes this.