Divi 

WordPress Theme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to Wordpress...ideas and advice?

Discussion in 'Starting a (WordPress) Website' started by irenesgarcia, Jul 11, 2014.

1. irenesgarcia

When I originally signed started a blog, it was simply to vent anonymously. Now, I am hoping to make money from home. I've read about several ways to do this but most require you to invest. I want to avoid investing too much money to start. I am signed up with a few different memberships that are free to sign up and pay you per referral. I would like to advertise them as well as share my knowledge on my blog through wordpress. A few categories of knowledge and advice I can offer are parenting, customer service, and relationship, just to name a few. Can anyone help me figure out how to put these together on a blog or website and generate traffic to start earning money?

2. Jacob

It sounds like you know what you want, which is a good start. The next step is to make a plan.

First thing's first: What is your blog going to be about? What is its niche? You say that you have interest in parenting, customer service, relationships, etc. You always want to blog about something that you are interested in. Never start a blog about something just because it has a high paying niche. Generally, you want to have a really good idea what your blog is going to cover. I can see "parenting" and "relationships" working together in a "mommy blog", where you offer advice or your past experiences on situations related to those topics. "Mommy blogs" are popular. This can be good and bad. The good news is that you will have a lot of potential readers. The bad news is that you aren't the only one with this type of blog. Competition can be hard, but if you learn to write in your own style and be unique, you shouldn't have much of a problem generating a user base.

After you have an idea of what you want your blog to be, you'll need to find a domain name and a place to host your blog. If you are looking for cheap hosting and domain names, GoDaddy may be what you are looking for. For just $12, you can get your own domain name and hosting for an entire year. After that year, I think the pricing goes up, but I'm not entirely sure. (If you want to discuss cheaper hosting, PM me and I can help you out).

Once you have your domain name and hosting, you are able to start posting and creating content. From there, you can add ads, have an online store, have premium membership, etc.

If you want a more detailed explanation on a specific step, let me know.

3. wander_n_wonder

Niche is very very crucial if you want your blog to be successful. They say blogging is a good way to earn money because you can basically just talk about anything that you want to talk about. While that has some truth to it because you have full control on the content, that is also not that accurate in a way that if you are not supposed to talk about just anything. You need to know your expertise and focus on that.

4. irenesgarcia

Thank you both for the advice :) Jacob I will probably look you up if I run into any problems lol ... I think I can get started now... well at least to start posting and creating content... I have a ton of ideas I need to get started on while they are still fresh in my mind. Thanx again :)

5. Skyspirit

I have a poetry blog I set up some time ago on standard WordPress. As of now, I have no plans to sell my books or other items off this particular blog. However, I would like to start updating the blog with references to books which I'm putting on Amazon Direct Kindle. Do you have any idea of a good method for gaining traffic without having to pay for same. Or, if so, at a much lower cost than most? I'm new here as well and it's so great to find a blog about WordPress, beginning and advanced issues - I have thought of doing poetry videos as part of the blog but have not moved forward - Does merely putting a video up on YouTube automatically generate more traffic to a webpage? Woudn't one also have to generate traffic to the YouTube site as well - ? Thanks in advance for sharing all your expertise out there & for setting this up - U rock!!!!

6. tournique

Skyspirit in regards of traffic you should try advertising your blog more. Social media works best here and quality content. Also try and remember you want to aim for a specific category of users as your blog is not for random ideas. Hope you grow well !

7. missbishi

You could try writing a review of these programs and including your referral link. Another idea would be to have a separate page on your blog, containing all of your links. Frequently include a call to action regarding visiting this particular page ("For more money making opportunities click here") and ensure it is regularly updated. Inform your readers whenever these sites pay you too.

8. tournique

Found some general tips for blogging:

*Compelling content updates - to keep your customers interested and come back.
    *Free advertising - There are sites that offer free classified style ads where you can upload your business information and place links to your website.
    *Use the power of social media - it is free and you can spread your message from user to user
    *To keep the communication with your customers, Email newsletter is very essential. Once you had established a relationship, you can send them emails to keep them informed of what is happening with your business.

9. Aree Wongwanlee

Are you on Facebook? If so, use Facebook to test out your ideas before putting them in your blog. Join groups with topics related to your niche. Share your ideas. Interact with people who comment. This is an easy and cheap way to do marketing, market survey and promotion all in one.

10. Panda

I think it's a bit hard to get referrals nowadays. People want stuff but they don't want you to benefit in return. The best way is to just use Adsense and slap in on to your articles. If you don't have an idea on what article to write, just look around. Check websites like Yahoo or IGN. Learn from what they have written and write something similar yourself and add a twist or two maybe.

And, we really don't know what people like unless we start writing. So, just write way and check which articles get the most attention and which articles don't. Like Aree said, you should use Facebook and other social networking sites to promote your articles in order to see what clicks.

11. Khurram Shahzad

12. Steve hawk

13. swalia