Divi 

WordPress Theme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GoDaddy for Wordpress

Discussion in 'Starting a (WordPress) Website' started by Crashtester, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Crashtester

Im really new to Wordpress but I have a GoDaddy hosting plan and last week I was asked if I could help someone setup a Wordpress site. Wordpress is available on GoDaddy as a preinstalled app so I installed it and have been having a play with installing templates and adding widgets. Now I need to help the third party set up their own Wordpress site.

My preference is to use GoDaddy to host the site based on my existing knowledge of the control panel and getting it all up any running. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? goDaddy offer a dedicated Wordpress hosting package but I'm opting for a full web hosting plan as that has some features over the dedicated hosting that my client needs.

2. SimplySidy

My personal experience with GoDaddy and Wordpress has been so horrible and tormenting that I never recommend using them at least for Wordpress when it comes to their full web hosting plan. They might be good with their dedicated wordpress things.

Anyways, though this is now unavoidable as you already have got the plans a few things -
    1. Do NOT use their Softaculous installer for wordpress (why their, I would recommend nowhere, use that app for wordpress) It messes up many times. Always GO with a Custom installation where you download wordpress and upload it to the server via FTP. That way, you are in control and are sure that you are not installing a piece of application which is bugged or anything. + You also control what version you upload (though the latest should be installed).

2. Do NOT name the default login to be Admin. Use anything else. That makes the people who might try to hack your blog//site face some difficulty

3. Do NOT use normal password for the Administrator instead use the Password Generator from the cPanel (and get a complicated password generated)

4. Use as minimum of plugins as possible and needed. On shared and normal web servers, wordpress tends to get slower when content and number of visitors increases

5. Do NOT go for nullified (pirated) themes - they are normally bugged and infected and more open for hackers and hence insecure.

I could go on and on :p

3. calicer1996

4. jonjacob

I've had no real problems with the dedicated WordPress hosting on GoDaddy as of yet. Everything is similar to the hosting I see on BlueHost with similar look and feel. The speed is a bit slower than I like, but ultimately, that blog is not looking to ramp to 10,000s of users. GoDaddy doesn't really have any major tools, and I am not using them anyway. Ultimately, I have been happy with what they are providing.

5. Crashtester

I am happy with GoDaddy too for my general web hosting, everything works as it should and their support guys can be helpful if you need them so I don't think running a Wordpress site would be much different.

Thanks for the advice SimplySidy. I am about to get very familiar with Wordpress now I have agreed to help some guys set up their site...should be fun :)

6. Manoj

7. TIEro

I use GoDaddy (VPS) and only have one issue with them: the lack of email support. They only do phone (and sometimes chat), both of which I hate. They retracted all their email support because it didn't get good satisfaction ratings... great business move there: instead of fixing a problem, take away the service! :confused:

As far as WP goes, you don't need dedicated WP hosting. That's just a way to sell you things you don't need, in my opinion. WP works on ANY hosting, though it's slow on shared setups. I run about 15 WP sites on my VPS (at one time it was over 100) and have no issues at all with it.

If you're setting up WP for someone else, make it clear that it's THEIR problem once you've set it up. Do not make yourself responsible for security or anything, unless they pay you (and you're willing to learn a LOT). WP has holes, hosting has holes, and making sure a professional site is secure is a big, complicated job.

My 2c. :)

8. raytim

9. chennaiwebdesign

10. tournique

11. swalia

12. VinayaSpeaks

13. rz3300

I have always been curious about GoDaddy the company. Every since seeing their ads a while back, and the shock value that came with it, I had that interest, but never really looked into using the service. I have heard from a couple people that it is okay, and really gotten mixed reviews, but maybe someday I will try it and be able to give some more wisdom. I will have to do more research though.

14. betcatalog

15. gary101

16. Raymond_

17. livetoerr

I got a domain with Go Daddy. Then I decided to host my website. Then I changed my mind and wanted to have managed WordPress. At the time, I was able to find a chat link for support and they switched my account over with whatever remaining credit I had for the hosting so it cost me very little. I used the WordPress features with no problems what so ever. Then I moved and the domain name I was using didn't fit anymore so I got a new domain. It took forever for Go Daddy's servers to recognize the change so I called them (because I couldn't find a link to chat anywhere). I got transferred to several different people until they figured out what was wrong and *fixed* it. Then I waited a few more days before realizing I had to reinstall Wordpress on the new domain name - even though I had requested everything to be transferred over. Finally, after reinstalling WordPress I was up and running again with no issues.

Truthfully though, when I actually get up and running (an eCommerce site) I'll probably change because there are better deals out there and I believe Go Daddy limits you (or wants you to pay for every little thing).

18. cortana

If you can get free hosting on GoDaddy, then go for it.

It's worth using so that you can learn the ropes, understand how to use WordPress, understand how hosting works. Then if your site grows, you could always upgrade your hosting package or move to another host.