Divi 

WordPress Theme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free or paid theme

Discussion in 'Themes and Templates' started by aaronnz, Jul 13, 2014.

1. zenfive

For personal use, I've never used a paid theme. However I've used them on several occasions for professional purposes, and I feel that in general they provide a better overall experience. This is because often, free themes don't have the same level of support and documentation that paid themes have. Along with this, cool plugins, and things like drag and drop builders are already often included within paid themes and can be really useful. I usually use ThemeForest to find some cool, cheap themes.
    But in the end it really does fall down to what your needs are.

2. joshua minaya

I often dont usually have the time to over modifying an old theme . I rather prefer to buy a new theme that is well customized and suites my needs.

3. craig1985

4. Khurram Shahzad

Hi there,
    Well, it is a very interesting question.
    In my opinion: If you are making a website for a professional firm than you should use paid theme. The reason is for paid you will have full support. And if there comes an update to the theme you can easily use it without getting worried for the technical issues.

5. ellyjude

6. VinayaSpeaks

Since I am a new webmaster, I have only used free theme. I will continue to use free theme until my website begins to earn substantial amount. However, if I had more budget for my website I would either buy theme or hire someone to create custom made theme.

7. jtbalenton

I agree that for simple blogging or personal sites, free themes, including the ones that come prepackaged in the default WP installation are more than adequate, especially if you can find the right plugin to achieve the interactive features of your site. The answer also depends on your comfort level with customization. If you have decent coding knowledge, you don't really need to buy a theme, since you can easily find online documentation of the best practices for customizing theme to your preferences. However, if your coding skills are limited and you want an e-commerce component on your site, I'd recommend a paid theme that comes with pre-made layouts.

8. rz3300

I have always gone with the free theme. I have always been under the impression that the simpler the better, especially for my particular audience, and so spending money on elaborate themes just does not make much sense for me. It all depends on what you are willing and capable of doing though, and there are certainly a lot of sites out there that can offer specific themes that will help drive traffic and increase interest.

9. swalia

10. betcatalog

11. VinayaSpeaks

I have been using free theme for a long time.But I am thinking to switch to paid theme. Free themes are also good as long as you can customize according to your taste. However the only drawback of free theme is your blog will look similar to other blogs that run the same theme.

12. cortana

Paid themes are great, but the one problem is that some paid themes have SOOOO many extra queries or features that actually slow your websites load time.

You want a theme that has ONLY what you need, get rid of the extra bloat, and make sure your theme doesn't slow you down.

Just because you paid for it, doesn't mean it's fast loading. Lot's of theme's on ThemeForest, for example, look great, but load slow.

Speed and simple design is the best.

13. Richard Wickham

14. Abdullah Rubel

15. webhostau

16. K. Wayne

17. Paul Stanely

18. Jonathan

If you have a medium to large website and you want to save time, is better to go with a paid theme. These themes have lots of page models & plugins included and are well optimized. Of course, if you have a small website of 5-10 pages a free theme will do the job, too.

19. Marco Aron

20. Jonathan